Wednesday, January 9, 2013

On trend: kitchens

Kitchens are the heart of the home. Who can argue with that? I am lucky enough to work on a lot of kitchen remodeling projects for my clients. They are spaces I always enjoy designing, and I am constantly making every effort to keep up on all the latest kitchen trends.

Here are my top 5 trends for kitchens that I think we can expect in 2013:

1.  Neutral Palettes: Kitchen remodels can often be a major expense, so sticking with a neutral palette can easily translate over many years. You can use pops of color to give it some pizazz.  Plus, colors that are soft and compelling make food front and center. It's the perfect backdrop.



2.  Bright Countertops: Yes, I know... this is a contradiction with number one, but I feel that one color palette could not possibly apply to everyone. If you are itching for color but aren't sure where to put it, try your countertops. Caesarstone carries a bright apple green that I think would be fresh in a bright sunny kitchen.  This bright aqua also looks great in this beachy cottage:



3.  Colorful Islands: Another way to infuse color in a kitchen without overwhelming it is by making your island stand out with a bright color. I am in love with this cheery yellow accent.


4.  Commercial conveniences:  I always enjoy a meal out every once in a while, but don't find cooking at home a huge burden. I am seeing a lot of commercial kitchen inspired products on the market to make even the most novice chef appear like a pro. I mean, who doesn't want to be able to fill up a pot in 30 seconds?



I also really like the lightness of this glass door refrigerator, but I can't imagine having the contents of my fridge on display 24/7. Still beautiful, nonetheless.


5.  Open shelving:  I think I could get used to this one. It would give me an excuse to buy a beautiful new set of dishes :)  What is great about this trend is the ease of getting dishes and glasses. A combination of closed cabinetry to hide away smaller everyday pieces, and open shelving to show off larger serving pieces would be gorgeous.


No comments:

Post a Comment