Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Design Series Week 3 ~ Decorating with Pattern

Who do you consider to be the Queen of Pattern? I can think of many designers who enjoy using patterns, whether it is layered patterns, or one that stands out against a more even backdrop.
Lilly Pulitzer Home Collection
Lilly Pulitzer Home Collection

I have a client in Brookline who loves Lilly Pulitzer.  It's just my luck that Lee Jofa carries a Lilly Pulitzer fabric and trim line that I have employed on more than one occasion, and their sister company, Brunschwig , has an abundant selection of fabrics with bright colors and bold patterns. The makings of a fun project are in the works. I am thinking something energetic for a chair and pillows juxtaposed with a solid sofa to ground the design and provide some rest for one's eyes.

Lilly Pulitzer Bedding for Garnet Hill

 Her patterns and colors are lively, full of optimism, and vivid. This image above makes me want to be a kid again. Doesn't this bunk room look like a fun place to sleep?

Lilly Pulitzer Trims for Lee Jofa


If Lilly Pulitzer is my Queen of Pattern, then Jonathan Adler is my King. His style is a stark mid-century contrast to Lily's preppy take.


Jonathan Adler
Carnaby Vase
Brocade Wallpaper

Which designer do you prefer? Could you live with this much pattern?

No comments:

Post a Comment