Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Inspired by Chihuly

Chihuly

One of my favorite artists is Dale Chihuly, the world renowned glass artist.  His use of glass and shape and color gives me such joy, I could get lost in his work all day.  I almost did at his exhibition at the Boston MFA a few years back. We are so lucky in Boston, because one of his exquisite pieces, the Lime Green Icicle Tower, was acquired by the museum and is now part of the permanent collection.




If you have been lucky enough to visit one of his exhibitions yourself, you know these hand blown glass sculptures are breathtaking. It is awe inspiring to see that these pieces are created by blowing and coloring glass and attaching them together or arranging them to create masterpieces of sculpture.  The way Chihuly puts together forms and colors to create something so magical has always intrigued me.  I am intrigued that Dale Chihuly was first introduced to glass while he was studying interior design at the University of Washington.

After years of studying glass, Dale moved to Venice on a Fulbright Scholarship to learn team glass blowing, a technique that he continues to use to this day. He returned to Washington and opened Pilchuck Glass School, and his works are represented in more than 200 museum collections worldwide.  

Here are some of my favorites of his work:

Persian Ceiling, Victoria and Albert Museum, one of my favorite art installations.
Boat Loop
Royal Botanical Gardens, England
Honeysuckle Blue Seafoam
Mille Fiori
Mille Fiori
Persians

No comments:

Post a Comment